Monthly Archives: February 2013
With the dryer on the material, there’s a lovely undulation…
So I have put together a rough cut of the collaborative video pieces based around a car from the other guys on my course.
I’m looking forward to trying to design some sound for it, I have an idea that I want to have a low hum, individually pitched to each separate cut and I really like leaving the different sized video as their original varying size, it makes it feel as though the shots were set up like that to give the viewer an alternate perspective. Are we looking in or seeing out?
Trying to exert more control over what happens, taking out a single ‘tick’ sound and isolating it as a new sample, then splitting it between left and right at ‘walking’ intervals. It finishes well this time too… pleased…
Mogees – gesture recognition to play music. I found this video and think that the possibilities are enormous, it almost seemed to good to be true!
In this video we show how it is possible to perform gesture recognition just with contact microphones and transform every surface into an interactive board.
Through gesture recognition techniques we detect different kind of fingers-touch and associate them with different sounds.
In the video we used two different audio synthesis techniques:
1- physic modelling, which consists in generating the sound by simulating physical laws;
2- concatenative synthesis (audio mosaicing), in which the sound of the contact microphone is associated with its closest frame present in a sound database.
The system can recognise both fingers-touches and objects that emit a sound, such as the coin shown in the video.
Taking 4 tracks in Adobe Audition, I added a few different effects and got them to loop and add to the original 12 second piece, then I re recorded this through Audacity.
The original sounds are from the same metronome track as I used before, just split and stretched down to one beat, plus the regular track underneath to give a sense of drive and rhythmn.
It does get ear splittingly loud at one point, verging on the painful, but deployed at the right point in a piece it would have the desired effect.
I would have like to have had more control over the ending and the extremely loud part, but I just don’t have the know-how in Audition. This is why I had to re-record it in Audacity because the 12 second piece kept adding to itself through the effects and that was part of what I really liked..
Rhythmic sounds from a single sample of a metronome.
I really like the way this sounds, I need to add some more atmosphere and depth, plus work out how to make it loop perfectly…
Getting to grips with After Effects and moving the end point , plus, timewarping the end of the original helps the flow of the movement feel much better… now to add in more little cyclists…
Another test and after many tweaks with comp settings I finally get the correct size output (needs to be 1024×576 square pixels) I have moved and slightly resized her, and also tried to get the gradation of timing correct.
I would still like to get them finishing in the same spot, but will need to apply the brain seriously as I haven’t got a clean bit of footage looking the same way with no-one in it so that I can extend the end full shot to accommodate the extra little bikers.
I would like to add 4 more bikes to this scene, 9 just seems the right tempo for it… but I will need to sort that ending shot out… Maybe taking a screenshot into photoshop, or looping a very small section, perhaps masking the original cycler out..